I Always Feel Like... Somebody's Watching Me!

Friday, May 27, 2011

More than a Tourist Trap

Beautiful AND energy efficient

  I have visited Niagara Falls many, many times over the years. I rode the Maid of the Mist as a little girl, took our German exchange students to see the amazing waterfall, stopped on the way back from our Honeymoon trip to Toronto and just last summer, we brought the kids as a side note to scouting Buffalo.

  And being in such close proximity to it now, I wasn't really excited since I have seen it so many times. With all of the wonders to see in the world, I am the kind of person who rarely likes to visit the same place twice. Niagara Falls is a fun, touristy destination - but I wasn't really looking forward to the prospect of driving there every time we had visitors here in Buffalo. I'll take the kids on the Maid of the Mist, sure, but I'd much rather spend our weekends exploring our new city and other places around Lake Erie.

  But I might owe the Falls another visit to show my true appreciation for a hidden talent I have never considered before: hydro-electric power. Oh yes, that wonderful scientific feat that has given us the lowest electric bills I have ever seen! You might be thinking, "DUH", Buffalo has been receiving power from the Falls since 1896. I just never made the connection.

Our visit last summer
  Gregory and I both have been wondering how it was possible to have such low electric bills here. The rental house is smaller and has less overhead lighting and fans. Without cable, the TV isn't left on as background noise. We have less appliances plugged in here on a constant basis... but that didn't explain the difference of over $100 saved every month. We were beginning to wonder if we had just been crazily energy inefficient in Pittsburgh.


  The science alone is pretty damn impressive - but I am appreciative of the benefit to our bank account. God Bless you Niagara Falls and Niagara Diversion Treaty! Now anytime someone says that Buffalo must be an awful place to live because of the neverending winter... I will remind them that it isn't so bad because it costs us a third of the price to keep our house warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment