I Always Feel Like... Somebody's Watching Me!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Stevie Wonder Understands Me

 And so does Billy Joel, Elton John, Weezer, John Legend, Beck, Michael Jackson, Phoenix and ABBA.

 No matter what is going on in my life: I start listening to the radio or my ipod and immediately I feel like my favorite musicians are speaking out to me. Like they know me, like they understand me. I could be ecstatic or in despair, furious or elated, bored or confused or just ho-hum - and they just GET it. No one can sing about love like Stevie Wonder. I'm driving in the car and literally talking to him, saying, "I know, right?". 

Even Milli Vanilla knows how to speak to me.

Perhaps it is my ego or natural response to see the world through my perspective before any other, but doesn't it always seem like the perfect (or worst possible) song is always playing to suit your mood? After every breakup I've ever had, "our" song or songs that my ex-boyfriend liked would follow me everywhere. After someone I love passes away, their favorite songs are playing constantly. When I hear good news - Madonna or Ace of Base never fails to deliver the ultimate happy drive.

In a world of constant change, at least my mix tapes from 9th grade can still make me feel secure and understood. Thanks for always being there, my Michael Jackson and Toad the Wet Sprocket and Smashing Pumpkins disaster of a playlist. It may not flow musically, but it gets me through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment