I Always Feel Like... Somebody's Watching Me!

Thursday, April 28, 2022

Snowspective - WEATHER!!!

 Move to Buffalo, they said - it will be fun, they said! 

It's April 28th, 2022 and it was below freezing this morning. Snow on the soccer fields and frost on the car windshield. We've already had our first sunburns of the season. Flip flops are readily available but so are the winter coats and gloves. Luckily my phone tells me the outside temperature so I don't go skipping out into the biting winds in my yoga capris. 

One of my favorite clips from the more recent Muppet show is Animal having a conversation with a human, basically yelling, "Traffic! Weather! Traffic!!" - because that's basically what we do as adults. Complain about the weather (no matter what it is) and talk about driving in our vehicles. WEATHER! TRAFFIC! It's Cold! It's too hot. It rained. It was sunny, then it snowed. Then I made the mistake of putting away snow pants and now it's MY fault that the weather went to shit again. 

WEATHER! 

Now that you've thought about it, you'll never be able to un-think it when a coworker or your neighbor starts up the conversation with, "Oh, this weather is too much"... You'll hear Animal yelling WEATHER! WEATHER! in your head. 

 I know it's our need to bond or need something to say - but it really is pointless to complain. I know I hit my deepest/lowest spot (my winter nadir) in February. I knew a lot of people escaping to Florida. My work didn't have the traditional Feb week off and there were ice crystals on my kitchen windows. I fully felt sorry for myself, mostly because a vacation had been cancelled and I struggle not having something to look forward to. I willingly moved to Buffalo and love it 95% of the time, but there's always that moment where the weather (WEATHER!) feels like an icy cold hand touching the back of your neck. The day where it feels personal and you'll never ever see sunshine again. 

Fast forward a few months, and I somehow had the mental capacity to deal with this last winter punch in the face. As in, this better be the last of it. I was fortunate enough to take a warm vacation over spring break and even though I came home to sleet and snow (then sunshine and more snow) - I at least have a recent memory of sunglasses and sand on my feet. 

Plus I live with a toddler who is excited about the WEATHER! no matter what. So yesterday, when we awoke to snow and he excitedly yelled, "Look at the snow!" - it kind of takes the sting out of it. At least a little bit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment