I Always Feel Like... Somebody's Watching Me!

Thursday, December 7, 2023

And Just Like That... I am Free from Radiation!

I asked, and asked and asked again. "Are you sure I'm scheduled for 30 rounds?" 

I was skeptical and hopeful that the doctors suggestion that I could get away with 15 rounds, which is becoming the standard of care in other countries. But my patient portal said otherwise. 

We were shuffling into Roswell, me feeling a bit unmotivated at treatment #24. That's not a very exciting number... Oohh wee 24! Seven more to go! Start a parade! 

But once I was changed into the gown, the techs said encouragingly, "Almost done!"

"Yeah, I can't wait for next week!"

"No, your last day is tomorrow."

"Tomorrow, as in tomorrow???"

The tech said that when she looked at my schedule, she realized that I didn't need the last five targeted treatment. If I had gotten a lumpectomy, then they would have focused on the areas where my tumors had been... But since all breast tissue has been removed - I'm good at twenty five! 

I was filled with the biggest endorphin rush. Suddenly I felt like the world had opened up and I could sprint down the street. Only one more day!?!? I had SO MUCH TIME now. 

Granted, radiation has been a lot easier physically than everything else. I'm burnt and can't tell if the sore throat/cough that I have are general illness or intensified by my treatment. The burns may worsen before they improve, but at least I am done! 

We were well taken care of with the meal train and the plethora of lotions given to me. If I could give a shout out to my cancer related Facebook groups - I would. It's hard to imagine going through this without the advice of women that have endured it before you. 

I came home and happily worked in the sewing room to finish a Christmas quilt that has been in the works for most of 2023. 



No comments:

Post a Comment