I Always Feel Like... Somebody's Watching Me!

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

A story of malfunctioning radiation machines and hair growth


Hi. I have to say that time is moving much faster now during radiation (and Halloween and Thanksgiving and all the school things) than it did during chemo. It felt much harder to knock out 8 sessions of chemotherapy than it does going everyday for radiation. But I'm also like a hardened cancer criminal now ... And this is an endurance race. 

I completed round #20 of radiation today. There have been a few hiccups with the machine either breaking before I get there or while I'm on the table, stretched out like a bug on an entomology display. The past two days they've had to reschedule my appointments... Which again makes me wonder how anyone continues to work during treatment. God bless the good bosses out there. (I have also been blessed with the most understanding employers as I take time off, never any pressure to do more than I can.) 

Several times I've been mid treatment and there's either a component of the machine that isn't working or the main computer needs to be rebooted. When someone tells you to lay completely still ... And then that time just goes on and on... First my nose itches. Then my foot. Then I have a twitch in my eye. Then a wedgie. Then a cramp in my arm. You can imagine where this is going. I'm getting a true lesson in *stillness* and focus. 

As for side effects, my skin is turning variant shades of red and purple. My skin is also tightening - the best way to explain it is that my skin has lost flexibility. If I move or stretch too far, my side and chest tend to say, "Umm no. That's not gonna work." It's more irritation than pain - and if I can get through this without blistering or breaking the skin, I'm going to consider it a success. 

In the coming months, I'll be hyper aware of signs of lymphedema, lung issues and pain in my esophagus. Issues with shoulder pain and permanent skin changes are always a possibility. Isn't modern medicine fun? It's my fault for asking (and researching) all of the possible problems... But it's served me well to be more informed than not. 

I included a recent picture of my hair, which is actually from over two weeks ago and I have more growing! It's soft and becoming a little unruly... I haven't woken up to bedhead in over 7 months, so it's kind of exciting! This will be a whole learning process on how to move from short hair to longer hair gracefully. Tips and barber recommendations are welcome. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Alexis for sharing your journey with all of us to read and be here for you if u shall need someone!!!! Sounds like you have a good handle on things and very aware of what’s going on.
    You educate me through your experience.
    As u write about tour new growth- it reminds me a little of my mom. After her illness and stress her body went though- her hair fell out. She had very little. It changed color from strawberry blonde to gray. And it was wirey and frizzy. I couldn’t believe that she went to the hairdresser and after she cut it, the hair started curling up and now is growling and the color is coming back. Although it’s still frizzy/ she’s over the top excited that it’s growing again after 6-7 months.
    Our hair really is a if deal to us.

    ReplyDelete